2015 Gawad Lagablab
The Philippine Science High School National Alumni Association (PSHS NAA) has been celebrating the Gawad Lagablab since 1991. Excellence in academic performance, exceptional achievement in their chosen field of endeavour, and exemplary service to our community and our nation are the main criteria for the selection process. The subsequent staging of the awards were held in 1991, 1993, 1998, 2002, and in 2005, 2008, 2011.
The PSHS NAA confers the award to the alumni in recognition of outstanding achievements in their respective fields of endeavour. By bringing pride, honor, and prestige to PSHS, Gawad Lagablab recipients also serve as inspiration and role models worthy of emulation by both fellow alumni and students.
The selection process also becomes an overview, both for the association and the school, of what its alumni have accomplished through the years.
• PSHS NAA members who have not been Gawad Lagablab awardees are eligible for nomination. But only NAA members of good standing can nominate or endorse a candidate for the awards.
• A non-winning finalist may be included in the next Gawad Lagablab nomination list upon approval of the nominee. There is no limit to the number of times that a nonwinning candidate may be nominated.
• All members of the Gawad Lagablab committee, members of the panel of judges, and all incumbent members of the PSHS NAA BOD are disqualified from being nominated as well as from nominating or endorsing a candidate.
The candidate’s sponsors must send the following to the PSHS National Alumni Association office (PSHS Diliman Campus, Agham Road, North Triangle Quezon City) or Emailed as a pdf document during the nomination period:
• A nomination letter with the signature of the nominator and the signed endorsements of the candidate by at least five other PSHS alumni.
• A resumé of the candidate’s achievements; at least two pages
• Copies of awards, citations, papers, and other information to support the nomination
Only nominations received before the close of PSHS NAA business on 15 July 2015 will be considered for the GL for this year.
The nomination period is until two months before the awarding schedule – for this year the deadline is 30June to allow time for processing of nominees, proper judging, and awarding this coming year, set for the 28th November 2015.
All nominations submitted after the deadline can no longer be considered for that year’s awards but will automatically be considered for the next awarding year.
THE BOARD OF JUDGES
There are seven members of the Gawad Lagablab Board of Judges, composed of the following:
Ø DOST Representative
Ø PSHS System Director
Ø PSHS NAA Chairman
Ø PSHS NAA Ex-Officio
Ø Former PSHS Faculty Member
Ø Former PSHS Faculty Member
Ø Former Gawad Lagablab Awardee
The Gawad Lagablab is not limited to specific fields of endeavour. Candidates must have displayed extraordinary quality of leadership and must have contributed to Philippine development to be seriously considered for the award. Candidates should have displayed these traits through any one of, but not limited to, the following endeavours:
Scientific Research (International and local)
Social Upliftment (e.g. NGO’s, community work)
Education / Academe
Business and Industry or Entrepreneurship
Profession (Medicine, Engineering, Architecture and others) The Arts (Literature, Music, Painting, Film and others)
The nominee will be judged on:
1. Academic Preparation: the extent of the development of his capabilities
2. Professional Achievements: the results of the use of his capabilities
3. Community Involvement Contribution: the benefit of his achievements to the nation
• Academic Preparation
Educational Degrees Completed
College Degree / Masteral Degree / Doctoral Degree
Other Courses, Training
Seminars / Certificate Programs (at least 6 months)
Awards and Distinctions
Dean’s List of Honors / High Honors / Highest Honors / Others
• Professional Accomplishment and Community Involvement
Small Group / Neighborhood / Organization Town size / Medium-large
Province / Region / National / International
Length of time before realization for benefits
More than 3 years / Up to 3 years / Up to one year / Up to 6 months / Ongoing / Already in effect
Duration (of effect on the population or organization)
Less than 6 months / One year / Three years / Five years / Ten years / More than 10 years
Involvement (degree of participation in the activity or accomplishment)
Followership / First line leadership / Middle Leadership / Top Leadership
Activity (for community work or social upliftment)
Dole out / Service / Training / Organization
Awards (for both professional and community involvement) Local / Regional / National / International
To learn more about the Gawad Lagablab, including past awardees, please click here.